Burton Memory Project
Timeline of Burton History
Main Street, Burton, Ohio, in 1860. View image.
Lydia Umberfield and Thomas Umberfield headstones.
Burton High School 1909 Junior Class Photo. View image.
Start of the Burton Light Plant, 1896? View image.
Stagecoach ride in Burton, 1931.
1936 Great Geauga County Fair.
Log Cabin Sugar Camp in Public Park. Burton, Ohio, 1937.
Ray Linton with his Ohio Bell Truck. View image.
|1798/06/15||Survey of the land by Turhand Kirtland, William Law, David Beard and Levi Tomlinson.
The company has selected standard townships, and all townships below the standard were equalized in the division by adding to each a certain number of acres from some other town. Burton was below, and had an annex. The Deed conveyed to the grantors:
|1798/06/21||The Umberfield family was the first to arrive in Burton.|
|1798/07/06||First house was built for the Umberfields at the end of Spring Street.|
|1798/07/12||Construction started on the first bridge over the Cuyahoga, south of Burton.|
|1798/12/31||The first child born in Burton was Riley Honey.|
|1799/03/13||A deed conveyed interest, 20,741 acres of land at 62 cents per acre, in Burton to Turhard Kirtland, Benjamin Doolittle, Samuel Doolittle, Titus Street, Andrew Hull, Daniel Holbrook & Levi Tomlinson.|
|1799/06/08||Isaac Clark with the aid of hired hands built the first mills.|
|1800||First grist mill was built next to the saw mill.|
|A man named Shannon was the first to die in Burton. He drowned while attempting to swim two horses across the west branch of the Cuyahoga.|
|1800/06||First sawmill, two and a half miles down the west branch of the Cuyahoga, was built.|
|1801/07/09||The first meeting devoted to worship took place at the home of Isaac Clark. Rev. Joseph. Badger performed the sermon.|
|1802||J.S. Cleveland opened the first store.|
|1802/06/30||Judge Kirtland performed the first wedded union of a Burton couple, Jonathan Brooks & Rachel Clark. The actual wedding took place in New Market.|
|1803||Eleazer Hickox arrived in Burton|
|Township was named for Burton Street, the son of Titus Street who had put up the largest amount ($3471.50) into the original land purchase.|
|First log school house was built.|
|The first militia was organized by Captain J.S. Cleveland.|
|Burton Park was dedicated.|
|Ephraim Clark had first frame barn built.|
|1804||The first physician, Dr. Joseph Clark, arrived.|
|The academy building started as a log building, sealed with pine, with birch chimneys and fireplaces.|
|1805||Uri Hickox arrived.|
|1806||Methodist Episcopal Church becomes first religious organization in Burton (sometimes cited as 1811).|
|The First wedding in Burton took place, uniting Robert Wallace and Rebecca Menough in wedded bliss.|
|Benjamin Johnson, first Justice of the Peace, arrived.|
|Burton Academy was built.|
|Peter Hitchcock moved to Burton at the age of 25. He later became the Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court and a member of the Ohio Constitution Committee.|
|1806/04||First election took place in Burton. List of the results:
Samuel Hopson was elected town clerk.
The trustees were Justus Miner, George Wallace and Joseph Clark.
Overseers of the poor were Isaac Thompson and Jonathan Brooks
David Hill was elected appraiser.
David Barrett was elected lister.
Uri Hickox was elected constables.
The Fence-Viewers were Seth Hayes and Noah Page. There were also 5 supervisors of the highway.
|1807||Seabury Ford, future governor of Ohio, moved to Burton.|
|1808/08/22||Congregational Church was organized.|
|1810||Burton Academy burned down.|
|1812||Roughly 60 Burton men served in the War of 1812.|
|1817||Work began on building second academy, east of the park.|
|1819||The second academy was finished and dedicated.|
|1823||The First County Fair was held in Burton's Park.|
|1824||Simeon Rose donated one and a half acres south of the town by the river, on Memorial Road, to be used as the towns' first cemetery.|
|1830||George Boughton arrived in Burton from Canfield, Ohio.|
|1836||Congregational Church building was erected, first Frame Church Built on the square.|
|1842/01||Second Academy burned down, supposedly the Whiskey Party were the culprits.|
|1843||Umberfield Tavern burned down.|
|1845||Exchange Hotel was built on corner of West Park and West Center Streets. It was built in the spot formerly occupied by the Umberfield Tavern.|
|1849/03/25||Lydia Umberfield, wife of Thomas, died.|
|1849-50||Seabury Ford served as Governor of Ohio.|
|1850||The Congregational Church was moved across the street to its present location at the corner of Spring Street, facing the Burton Park.|
|1850/12/21||Thomas Umberfield died.|
|1860||The Exchange Hotel was rebuilt with 4 floors. It was the only 4 floor building in the county.|
|1861||223 Burton men participated in the Civil War.|
|1866 or 1868||First frame high school was built on the west side of the square, later moved and used by the I.O.O.F lodge.|
|1868||Union school building was erected west of Burton Park, costing $4,000.|
|1868/02/21||Eleazar Hickox died at the age of 91.|
|1868-69||The first term of high school.|
|1871||First Town Hall was built.|
|1871/12||All the stores on the east side of Main Street burned down.|
|1872||Boughton-Ford Bank was organized. The building was located on Hotchkiss, now Baird Street.|
|1873||Geauga County Historical Society was organized in Burton.|
|Brick stores were first built on East Main Street.|
|1874||Village residents set out the maple grove in the Burton Park.|
|Baltimore & Ohio station was built at Burton station with money raised by public subscription.|
|1874/12/18||Burton's first newspaper, Geauga Leader, was published by J.B. Coffin|
|1875||B&O Railroad station was built on Burton Station Road.|
|1877/11/23||Burton was home to the first telephone line installed in Ohio. The wires led from the depot to a bank, two and a half miles away.|
|1879||A bandstand was erected in the center of Burton Park.|
|1880||Methodist Church purchased a 504 lb. bell.|
|The Burton Handle Factory began operations at their Spring Street location. It was the largest manufacturer in the county.|
|1881/07||New town hall was built at head of West Park for $6500.|
|1882/04/01||First caucus was held at new town hall.|
|1884/09/20||Second high school was constructed to replace original high school. It was modeled after a school in River Falls, Wisconsin.|
|1886||Peter Hitchcock died.|
|1887||The cornerstone was laid for the long time bank building.|
|1890||The Opera House opened. Later it became the fire department.|
|1894||Burton Telephone Company was formed a six station phone line were established.|
|1895||The village of Burton was incorporated with George H. Ford as its' first mayor.|
|1895/04/01||The first mayoral election was held in Burton. Here is a list of the results:
George H. Ford elected mayor.
L.J. Ford elected Clerk.
P.W. Parmalee elected treasurer.
The Council Members were H.C. Tuttle, H.W. Crittendon, George H. Hyde, A. Baird, J.B. Lawrence, S. Freeman and Charles Boway.
W.D. Glending was sealer of weights.
Charles Lassroy became the marshall.
|1896||The first electric light plant was built by Earl Bliss. This plant was known as the Burton Electric Light Plant.|
|1897/7/23||The streets of Burton were illuminated by electric light for the first time.|
|1898||Finnish Temperance Society was organized in Burton.|
|1899||The first rural mail delivery route was established.|
|1900/02/21||The C&E Interurban Railway carried its first passengers on the Burton-Middlefield Line.|
|1901||The Belle Vernon Creamery was opened at the foot of Spring Street.|
|1903||The bank failure occurred.|
|Baird Hotel burned down.|
|1905||Ohio Bell Telephone Co. bought controlling stock in Burton Telephone Co.|
|1908||W.W. Dean purchased the Exchange Hotel from Otis Appleby.|
|1910||The first water mains were laid in the village.|
|1910/01/19||Burton Public Library opened. Mary Andrews became the first librarian.|
|1912/07||Library was moved to the Johnson store building, across the alley from the north end of the east block.|
|1913||North Cheshire and Spring became the village's first paved roads.|
|Traffic laws were enacted in Burton, signs were posted and a speed limit of 10 MPH was enacted.|
|1916/10||Warren G. Harding was a patron at the Dean Hotel, formerly the Exchange Hotel.|
|1917||31 Burton men proudly served in World War I.|
|1919||Contract was awarded for first paved streets in Burton.|
|The most infamous Burton blizzard struck.|
|1921||Civil War hero E.P. Latham died.|
|Electricity was installed in Burton High School for first time.|
|1922||The State and County Highway garages opened.|
|1925||The Belle Vernon Creamery closed.|
|The C&E Interurban railway ceased operation.|
|State Route 87 from Burton to Cleveland was paved.|
|1926||A small group of men organized the Burton Volunteer Fire Department|
|Water Tower was erected in Burton Park.|
|Burton Public Library was moved to the basement of the Old Block.|
|1927||The first sewer system was installed.|
|The village was divided into ten sewer districts.|
|1927/05||The Burton Telephone Company is purchased outright by the Ohio Bell Company.|
|1929||A miniature golf course was built in Burton Park.|
|1930/10||3000 bulbs were planted in Burton Park by the Chamber of Commerce, Garden Club, and literary clubs.|
|1931||The Log Cabin Sugar Camp was built at the bequest of the Chamber of Commerce near the south end of Burton Park. It was the first municipal maple house in the country.|
|1933/08/20||A pageant was held depicting the history of Burton with emphasis on the 125th anniversary of the Congregational Church. There was a sunset pilgrimage to the gravesites of Thomas and Lydia Umberfield, the first settlers.|
|1935||The State and County Highway garage officially became Geauga County Engineer's Highway Department.|
|1935-36||The last year that the high school was held in the building that is now the library.|
|1936||A new high school opened on North Cheshire.|
|1937/09/12||The dedication of memorial tablet to the soldiers of the American Revolution buried in Burton.|
|1937||Library moved into what had been the first and second grade room on the west side of the old building.|
|1938||Mrs. Frances Bolton purchased the Hickox Brick and presented it to the Geauga Historical Society as a gift.|
|1940||209 Burton men proudly served in World War II.|
|1941||The Congresswomen from Ohio's 222nd district purchased and deeded the Hickox Brick and six and a half acres of land to the Geauga Historical Society.|
|1942||B.J. Shanower was elected Mayor (1942-1947).|
|The Dean Hotel, condemned for being unsafe, was torn down.|
|1944||The Chamber of Commerce Planted 60 new maples in Burton Park.|
|1944/05/07||Dedication of the Burton Memorial Forest, to honor the men and women who served in World War II.|
|1947||R.V. Hosmer built a restaurant near the site of the old Dean/Exchange Hotel.|
|1947/06/22||Assembly of God moved into their new church.|
|1948||Burton celebrated its Sesquicentennial and a time capsule was buried.|
|1953||A Christian Science church was built on West Center Street.|
|1957||The third water tower was built for $41,000.|
|1959||Burton Elementary School was built on Carlton.|
|1960/02/19||The First Congregational Church's Parsonage was torn down|
|1961||A post office was built on Main Street.|
|1961/12||Mrs. Helen Merritt became head of the library staff at Burton Public Library.|
|1967||Contracts were signed to bring East Ohio Gas lines into the Village.|
|1968||Methodist Church was built on north side of the village.|
|1969||A destructive windstorm on the 4th of July knocked down several maple trees in Burton Park.|
|1970||Belle Kennedy purchased the restaurant built by R.V. Hosmer. She remodeled it and dubbed it Belle's Colonial Restaurant.|
|B. J. Shanower deeded the Merriman Cook Farm, north of the village, to Kent State University for a Geauga County campus.|