Hungarian Americans of Cleveland
Cleveland Press Articles
First Magyar Church Marks 50th Anniversary
Cleveland Press, May 23, 1964
The First Magyar Presbyterian Church, 12604 Buckeye Rd., will hold a double celebration tomorrow.
It's the church's 50th anniversary and the pastor's 35th year at the Hungarian church and his 40th anniversary in the ministry. The pastor is the Rev. Stephen W. Csutoros, one of the city's most active Hungarian clergymen and civic leaders.
A thanks-giving worship service will be held at 4 p.m. , to be followed by a banquet at Bethlen Hall, East Blvd. and Buckeye Rd.
At the service the English sermon will be preached by the Rev. Howard Withers of Parma South Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Mathias Daroczy, pastor emeritus of the West Side Hungarian Church, will preach the Hungarian sermon.
Sen Frank J Lausche will be the banquet speaker. Also expected to attend is Mayor Locher.
Rev. Csutoros was the son of the Rev. Alex Csutoros, pastor of the Hungarian Reformed Church. He studied at Bloomfield Theological Seminary after his graduation from West Point Military Academy in 1923.
The pastor is best known for his work among Hungarian refugees. In 1956, after the Hungarian revolt, Rev. Csutoros went to Vienna and personally helped bring hundreds of refugees here.