Tony Mastroianni Review Collection
Cleveland Press March 25 1966
SIDE-BAR TO "BATTLE OF BULGE" REVIEW:
GREATER CLEVELAND'S only Cinerama theater -- for the time being anyway -- opened last night. The Great Northern Theater opened to the public with the premiere of "Battle of the Bulge."
Since the Palace stopped showing Cinerama features ("Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and "Circus World" were the last of them) this area has been without a theater equipped to show this widest of all projection processes.
The Great Northern is located at Lorain and Brookpark Rds. in North Olmsted and is owned by Stanley Warner Theaters with headquarters in Pittsburgh.
This is the third new Stanley Warner theater in Northern Ohio. The other two are in Akron and Canton.
THE THEATER SEATS 1346. Like other recently built theaters there is no stage, no proscenium. The screen occupies the fourth wall of the auditorium.
The deeply curved 90-foot screen can be adjusted to handle 35mm and 70mm films as well as Cinerama.
Last night's opening was attended by North Olmsted officials, members of American Legion Excelsior Post No 628 and members of the Great Northern Assn. and executives of Stanley Warner Theaters.
Other Stanley Warner theaters in Greater Cleveland are the Allen, Colony and Vogue.