The Parma, Ohio Collection

A Timeline of Parma History 1816-1975

Date Event
1816 Benajah Fay, his wife Ruth, and their children settle on a division of the Western Reserve known as Township 6, Range 13.
1826 Parma Township is created.
1911 A small section the township secedes and becomes the village of Parma Hts.
1924 Parma is incorporated into a village.
1926 German Central Organization purchases and builds the German Central Farm.
1931 A proposition by the City of Cleveland to annex Parma is defeated.
1931 Parma becomes a city.
1932 Modern Tool & Die Co. opens a plant on W. 130th Street.
1935 Parmadale Children's Village of St. Vincent de Paul open.
1943 The U.S. Army builds the Crile General Hospital for soldiers and veterans.
1949 General Motors opens their Chevrolet Plant.
1956 Parmatown Shopping Center (now Parmatown Mall) opens.
1956 A Nike missile site is built on the grounds of the Crile Hospital.
1959 Parma Heights is incorporated into a city.
1959 Groundbreaking begins the gradual enclosure of Parmatown Mall, finishing in the 1960s.
1961 The Ohio Congress passes legislation to build a system of community colleges in the state.
1961 Parma Community General Hospital opens.
1964 Crile veterans hospital is closed.
1965 The old Crile building site is donated to Cuyahoga Community College to be the temporary home of West campus.
1966 Cuyahoga Community College West campus opens its doors to students.
1968 Parmatown Lanes bowling lane opens.
1975 The permanent Cuyahoga Community College West campus is completed.
German Central Farm
German Central Organization farm
main building, 1940. View image.
German Central Farm
Hospital Ward - Crile General
Hospital. View image.
German Central Farm
Shoppers under the new roof at
Parmatown Mall, 1968. View image.
German Central Farm
The opening of Cuyahoga Community
College West campus. View image.