State Theatre Fact Sheet
1519 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
41° 30' 3" N, 81° 40' 51" W
Designed for movies and vaudeville.
1920 (Fleishman Construction Co., New York)
Loew's Ohio Theaters
A partnership made up of Cleveland real estate developer, Joseph Laronge, two men named Strong and Desberg, and Marcus Loew.
The State was the flagship theater for Loew's Theaters in Ohio, and was the last of Loew's theaters to be opened by Marcus Loew himself.
Described as Italian Renaissance, it actually combines Roman, Greek, and European Baroque designs.
- Opened - February 5, 1921
- Closed - February 2, 1969
- Reopened - June 9, 1984
- Original - $2 million
- Restored Lobbies - $3 million
- New Stagehouse -$7 million
- Original - 3400
- Restored – 3098
- 1994 - 3198
- Covering the orchestra pit for certain performances allowed 100 temporary seats to be added to the main floor.
At left: The State Theatre Marquee from 1929. The State Theatre offered both films and live entertainment. Emil Jannings was on the most popular and high paid actors in the world at this point, but he was only to make handful of other english speaking film. In the 1930s and 1940s the Swiss actor appeared in a number of Nazi propaganda films which ended his career. View image.