Euclid Beach Park
A Brief History
Aerial View Of Euclid Beach Park. View image.
Opening for its first season in 1895, Euclid Beach Park consisted of all the typical elements. The park, however, failed to find financial success with its roster of average attractions and average entertainment. It would take the entrepreneurship of the Humphrey Family, operators of a popcorn stand at Euclid Beach, to transform the ordinary into the extraordinary.
Assuming control of park operations beginning with the 1901 season, the Humphrey Family revamped the park’s respectability, turning it into a financial success by summer’s end. The beer garden was removed, dress codes were enforced, and other questionable behavior was eradicated from the grounds. Euclid Beach Park was a respectable destination for all of those looking for a retreat from life: even if for just a few hours.
|Oct. 23, 1894||Park incorporated|
|1896||Humphrey Family operates a popcorn stand at the park|
|1899||Humphrey Family end popcorn business at Euclid Beach|
|May 27, 1901||Humphrey Family takes over Euclid Beach|
|1904||The Roller Rink was built|
|The Figure Eight rollercoaster was built|
|1907||Scenic railway constructed|
|1914||Land acquisition for park completed|
|1921||The entry archway is constructed|
|1923-1924||The Thriller rollercoaster built|
|June 14, 1925||Bath house opened|
|1930||The Flying Turns amusement ride installed|
|Sept. 7, 1933||Dudley S. Humphrey II, owner and operator of Euclid Beach passed away|
|August 23, 1946||Race riot2|
|1963||Daily service from Public Square to Euclid Beach ends3|
|1964||Park starts to lose money4|
|Sept. 28, 1969||Park closed|
|1973||Archway entrance declared a historic Cleveland landmark5|
|Sept. 2005||Old Humphrey Mansion demolished6|
Times and tastes would change but Euclid Beach would remain. While other Cleveland amusement parks such as Luna Park, White City, and Forest City folded, the Humphrey Family would continue to operate Cleveland’s playground to the east offering a variety of sights and attractions for the public to enjoy for the next six decades.
Euclid Beach owner & operater, Dudley S. Humphrey II poses with his granddaughter (and chickens). View image
Harvey Humphrey, Louise Humphrey, Clarence, and Russ near a Pure Cream Candy stand. View image
1Unless otherwise footnoted, all dates are from the book Euclid Beach Park is Closed for the Season by Amusement Park Books, Inc.
2Case Western Reserve University, "Euclid Beach Park Riot," Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=EBPR.
3"Daily Runs From Square to Euclid Beach to End," Cleveland Plain Dealer, Stamped: April 24, 1963, Cleveland Press Collection.
4"Euclid Beach Park to Close in 1969," Cleveland Press, Stamped: June 8, 1968, Cleveland Press Collection.
5Case Western Reserve University, "Euclid Beach Park," Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=EBP.
6Michael O’Mara, "City of Cleveland misses important deadline: Old Humphrey Mansion demolished," http://archive.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=40816, Posted: September 16, 2005.